Presented by: Dr. Blake Barber
Friday, August 28th, 2020
12:00pm – 1:00pm PACIFIC TIME
This webinar will provide mental health professionals with information and resources to be able to better identify and characterize individuals who have sexually offended or are at risk of sexually offending while dispelling the myths and stigma which may provide a barrier to treatment. Information will also cover sex offender-specific laws and policies, risk factors linked to recidivism, and effective treatment options.
- Differentiate the various individual sex offender typologies and criminal charges which fall under the general term of sex offender.
- Explain the cultural and societal implications of stigma surrounding sexuality and how shame becomes a barrier to discussion and prevention efforts.
- Gain an understanding of the current California laws involving registration and policies which cause restrictions and other barriers to reintegration.
- Identify risk factors and protective factors related to likelihood of offending in the future.
- Describe treatment approaches including group therapy, CBT, circles of support, and medication-management.
Blake’s webinar presentation took place on Zoom.
About Dr. Blake Barber
Blake Barber, Psy.D., is a licensed clinical psychologist and California Sex Offender Management Board certified treatment provider working at Orange Psychological Services, a sex-offender-specific treatment program, in Orange, CA, and Long Beach, CA. His practice involves strength-based and emotionally-focused psychodynamic treatment which integrates other empirically-validated treatment options such as cognitive behavioral therapy as individually necessary.
For more information please e-mail email@example.com.